Domestic abuse can be emotionally devastating. As well as dealing with someone you trust mistreating you, it can also have complications from a legal standpoint. It is important to know some of the legal implications and practical issues that need to be dealt with.

What to be aware of

When people think of abuse, they tend to think of it purely in terms of physical violence. While this may be the most visible sign, it is important to know that there are other forms. For example, if the partner is continually putting down the other in public, this can be a sign. Another is if a person spends less and less time with friends and family, as the other partner may be deliberately withdrawing them from their family and social networks.

It is important to report abuse – if you are in immediate danger, you should call the police. If you don’t feel in immediate danger then there are still charities, local organisations and local police authorities to talk to. If you suspect someone you know is being abused, you can raise the issue as well.

Domestic Violence Protection Notices

One method that the court can use to protect people is a domestic violence protection notice. This can then lead to a Domestic Violence Protection Order, stopping them from contacting you or if they do not live with you to stop them from entering your home.


One concern, both in the short and long term is where to live. There are shelters you can go to in the short term. In the long term, it is important to contact a local housing authority to sort out accommodation.

The court can also decide living arrangements if children are involved. If it is felt that they are under threat, then they can make sure that access is not granted to the abusive partner.

It is recommended you talk to your legal professional as soon as possible because you do not want to lose your house or possessions if you choose to leave your partner.

Child maintenance

As well as dealing with housing issues, a court can also decide how a partner can pay to look after children. While they may be barred from visiting, they can still be obligated to pay child maintenance in order to make sure the children are properly looked after.

Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme

If you are concerned about a partner and feel they may be potentially abusive, you can talk to the police and request information on their background, which the police can give to you if they feel it is necessary to protect you. They can also contact people if they feel that someone is under threat.

Talk to us

If you wish to report domestic abuse or you are looking to leave an abusive partner, we can help you. Our team can talk to you about your individual circumstances and guide you through the process. For more information talk to our legal specialists today.