Debt Recovery Fees
Our Debt Recovery Team consists of the following:
David Sumner – Partner and solicitor with 12 years post qualification experience
Gemma Bray – Senior solicitor
Amy Johnson – Trainee Solicitor due to qualify in February 2019
Alex Rusu – Paralegal
Vanessa Bagnall – Legal secretary with over 30 years of experience
Our dispute resolution and debt recovery team has a wealth of experience of dealing with a range of litigation and debt matter matters ranging from relatively straight forward service of statutory demands to court proceedings and enforcement.
These costs apply where your claim is for a value of no more than £100,000.00 and where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one off letter is required), or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
The court fee for your claim can be identified at https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees
|Debt value||Our fee (incl. VAT)||Total|
|Up to £5,000||£1,500 (£300 VAT)||£1,800|
|£5,001 – £10,000||£2,500 (£500 VAT)||£3,000|
|£10,001 – £50,000||£12,000 (£2,400 VAT) (or 30% value of the claim), whichever is the higher||£14,400 (or 30% value of the claim), whichever is the higher|
|£50,000 – £100,000||£15,000.00 (£3,000 VAT) (or 30% value of the claim), whichever is the higher||£18,000 (or 30% value of the claim), whichever is the higher|
Anyone wishing to proceed with a claim should note that:
• The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from your debtor.
• Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
• The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.
• Where you are claiming up to £10,000.00 the general rule is that win or lose each party pays their own fees.
Our fee includes:
• Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
• Undertaking appropriate searches
• Sending a letter before action
• Receiving payment and sending onto you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
• Where no Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgement in default
• When Judgement in default in received, write to the other side to request payment
• If payment is not received within 21 days, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs
Matters usually take 4-12 weeks from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the other side, depending on whether or not it is necessary to issue a claim. This is on the basis that the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgement in default. If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve. If the matter is defended then you will enter litigation through the court system and a time frame of 30 to 52 weeks for a resolution.
We also offer fixed fees for the following standalone services:
• Preparation and service of a statutory demand £250 plus VAT
• Bankruptcy or Winding up proceedings £1,500 plus VAT plus disbursements
• Preparation and service of a pre-action protocol compliant letter £250 plus VAT
• Preparation of Particulars of Claim/Defence £650 plus VAT
• Enforcement only (in the event you already have a judgment) £550 plus VAT plus disbursements per enforcement instruction