There can be numerous reasons why someone may want to appeal a legal verdict. It may be that something affected or prejudiced the case, or new evidence may have recently come to light. Whatever the reason, knowing how the appeals process works can make it easier if you need to appeal a verdict.


You need to send your request within 28 days of your sentence or conviction (although it may be possible to do so later if you can prove why you need an extension). You can also stop your appeal if you wish to do so by applying for a “notice of abandonment of appeal” form.


If permission is granted (you will receive a letter confirming the date and location of your hearing), you will be able to address the Court of Appeal Criminal Division. For people appealing a conviction, prosecution representatives may also present a case against you.

In the event of not being granted permission, you will receive a letter detailing why your appeal was rejected. However, it may also be possible to request a “full court” of two or three judges to grant permission for an appeal.


In the event of a positive verdict, your conviction may be reduced or overturned. If your appeal is turned down, then you may have to pay court costs and restart your sentence from the beginning.

It is also possible to contact the Criminal Cases Review Commission (or CCRC) if you feel there has been a miscarriage of justice, either during the original case or the appeal.

Here to help

We believe in working closely with our clients, both in terms of representing them and guiding through the process. We work with you, discussing the details of the appeal and the likelihood of a positive verdict.

Larcomes has always prided itself on not only providing legal representatives and resources but also customer care to help people cope with what can be a difficult situation. For more information or to discuss your legal situation in more detail, please contact Larcomes today so we can put you through to a specialist legal professional.